Parks & Open Space
Open space is one of St. Joseph's many distinguishing features to those who live and visit here. It is important that we understand the nature and value of our existing resources in order to achieve a balance between development and open space. Through the Comprehensive Planning Process, we hope to explore the following questions:
- What is the definition of open space?
- Are our open space areas well connected to neighborhoods?
- Do we have equal access to natural or open space areas? Does our park areas adequately serve everyone?
- Does the built environment promote a healthy lifestyle?
- What areas shall be preserved in the interest of ecology?
- Do we currently have enough park space based on current size and population?
- What areas exceed infrastructure/service capacity? What areas are underutilized?
- What areas should be preserved for future growth?
- What tools could be utilized to make us easily adapt to future conditions?
- What tools already exist that preserve natural space?
- What financial resources do we have to maintain parks and undeveloped space?
- How do small parks or community spaces fit into the existing system?